In this article, we will discuss Lactobacillus Reuteri, also known as L Reuteri, and show you how to make L Reuteri yogurt.
We will cover the following:
- How to make l reuteri yogurt
- l reuteri yogurt benefits
- The connection of oxytocin and l reuteri as a mood uplifter
- Its role in aiding the cleanup of H pylori and SIBO
- L Reuteri yogurt for Bone Density
and much, much more.
Let’s discover this evolved probiotic strain together to experience healthier life spans.
L Reuteri Yogurt Recipe
- 1 Sterile Bowl enough room to allow for yogurt expansion
- 1 Whisk
- Ensure all of your equipment is clean and dry.
- If you have purchased half and half that is not ultra pasteurized it is important to heat the milk to 195 degrees first. This ensures other microbes won't compete with the l reuteri strain.
- Then prepare an ice bath in a larger bowl and put the heated pot of half and half in the ice bath to cool to 100 degrees.
- Skip the step above if you buy ultra pasteurized half and half.
- In a glass bowl mix the prebiotic fiber and the l reuteri packet.
- With the half and half you can now take 1 1/2 cups and mix it with a whisk into the powders. Ensure it is well dissolved and incorporated.
- Add the remaining half and half to your whisked mixture. Ensure there is room for this to expand. Otherwise if you use a quart jar like I did in the video it may bloom over.
- Cover with a lid or muslin cloth and rubber band and put into your instant pot.
- Keep it at 100 degrees for 36 hours.
- Store in the refrigerator well sealed.
@theremedyvault Make the original strain inherent in a heathy gut! #lreuteri #lreuteriyogurt #drdavis #probiotics #probio #yogurt #ferment #fermentation #health #healing #leakygut ♬ Kokopeli_ Native American Flute Music_Spirit, Sedna, Tour, Travel, Indian Jewelly / Nature, History, Documentary Background(1301585) - Ney
Original Method:This is the original method taught by Dr Davis but requires a bit more work with pulverizing the tablets. In this method you will need:
- 10 Tablets Bio Gaia Gastrus. Don't worry that they are mandarin flavor. This will not show up in the taste of the yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons of Prebiotic Fiber such as Inulin powder.
- Next take and crush the 10 tablets with a mortar and pestle.
- Mix this with the prebiotic.
- Next take about 1/2 cup of the half-and-half and mix it really well with the powders to create a slurry. You can use a whisk but don't use a blender as it will harm the microbes.
- Now you can move this to the sterile quart jar with the rest of the half and half.
- Cover with a muslin cloth and rubber band or a loose lid.
- Put in your instant pot or yogurt maker at 100 degrees for 36 hours.
- The last hour is where the magic happens and most of the beneficial microbes really bloom.
- Store in the refrigerate air tight.
- To make a vegan version use 1 can of organic coconut milk with no added fillers like guar.
- Boil the coconut milk.
- Add 2 tbs of the prebiotic fiber
- Add 1 1/2 tbs gelatin or I love to use Irish Moss Gel. You can use an immersion blender to get this to well incorporate.
- Make sure well dissolved and cooled to 100 degrees before next step.
- Add in your start whether the crushed bio gaia tablets or the packet.
- Then transfer it to a sterile glass mason jar and cover lightly.
- Ferment for the 36 hours at 100 degrees.
L Reuteri Yogurt Pro Tips
- Start making it early or late in your day; otherwise, the yogurt will be done in the middle of the night.
- Prebiotic fibers must be used to ensure the healthy growth of the l reuteri strain.
- Ultrapasteurized dairy is important; if not, heat it to 195, as in my instructions above.
- Starting a new batch is simple with 2 tbs of your first yogurt batch and more prebiotics.
- Always ensure your tools are exceptionally clean. Boil if need be and ensure some room at the top of the bowl for expansion of the ferment.
Where Does L Reuteri Come From?
L reuteri has been found in the following:
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Breast Milk
- Urinary Tract
The first time we get exposed to l reuteri is during birth. As we are born, the vaginal canal secretions coat us with these bacteria.
We also receive it through breastfeeding.
However, if a baby is born through c-section or is formula fed they may not have that hardy strain of L reuteri in their gut.
The same is true in the case of antibiotic use.
Each time we use antibiotics more l reuteri is wiped out from our gut.
L reuteri was first isolated in 1962.
The name comes from the German microbiologist Gerhard Reuter, who discovered it.
Most of his life seemed dedicated to studying the human intestinal tract.
Thanks to him, we know about this evolved strain of l reuteri that has many health benefits.
We can utilize the power of l reuteri yogurt or create a dairy ferment to restore these beneficial microbes to the gut.
What is L Reuteri?
L Reuteri is an indigenous and heirloom strain of bacteria found in a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
For millions of years, humans and their ancestors have undergone coevolution alongside distinct strains of l reuteri.
When we create l reuteri yogurt as a dairy ferment, we create billions of beneficial probiotics to create a healthy gut.
What is a probiotic?
A probiotic is defined as a live organism with health benefits to its host or good bacteria.
L reuteri is indeed a potent probiotic.
Since 70-90 percent of our cells are made up of bacteria, we need to keep our microbe balance in check.
We should look to keep our gut health around 80% of the well evolved species and 20% of the not-so-good bacteria.
We can do this by creating l reuteri yogurt and eating controlled fermented, probiotic-rich foods from specific strains.
How Bacteria Affects Us
These microbes that live in us affect the following:
- Immune System
Regarding genetics, our human body’s unique genes are outnumbered, as 99 percent belong to bacteria.
This vast community of over 100 trillion microorganisms collectively forms what is known as our microbiome.
L reuteri is an evolving species that scientific evidence has shown to be highly beneficial for human health, which we will discuss in this article.
L reuteri microorganisms:
- Survive and grow without oxygen
- Survive our stomach acid
- Are rod-shaped
- Have a thick cell wall
An evolving probiotic species must have the strength and fortitude to outshine the vast array of pathogens and onslaughts received.
It seems L Reuteri has done just that. This is why I love to make l reuteri yogurt.
The fact that it has stood the test of time and co-evolved with us is a testament to its role in our health, and we might want to take heed of it.
One of the ways I believe it has been able to co-evolve with us is that it does not die off when it hits the acid of our stomach like many other probiotic strains.
It seems to survive instead and thrive.
lt has been discovered that without various strains of l reuteri these different diseases may be more prevalent:
- Skin infections
- Allergic reactions
- Autism spectrum disorders
L reuteri strains are particularly important as essential probiotics in the human GI tract to combat these issues, especially when it comes to gastrointestinal diseases.
Gastrointestinal Diseases & L Reuteri
Leaky Gut & L Reuteri
For example, leaky gut occurs when there is damage to the intestinal barrier.
This condition has been linked to the underlying mechanisms of various gastrointestinal disorders, diseases, and autoimmune conditions.
Several medical research studies indicate that l reuteri is protective in preventing leaky gut.
This protective effect is achieved by the following:
- Strengthening the tight junctions
- Stabilizing pro-inflammatory cytokines
One of our health-promoting tools for a leaky gut condition can be making l reuteri yogurt.
Can lactobacillus reuteri kill h pylori?
Yes, l reuteri inhibits the proliferation and colonization of H pylori.
The ingestion of l reuteri helps mop up the gut pathogen H Pylori as it begins to make a substance called reuterin, an anti-microbial compound.
Is L Reuteri Good For SIBO?
Yes, it is.
In the case of SIBO you need specific strains that target the upper GI tract where SIBO lives.
SIBO stands for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.
It’s a condition characterized by an abnormal increase in bacteria in the small intestine.
The most potent strains for SIBO are a combination of these strains:
- L Reuteri DSM 17938
- L Gasseri BNR 17 to colonize the upper GI tract
- Bacillus coagulans GBI-30,6086 since it has been shown to reduce SIBO symptoms.
These three strains produce anti-bacterial compounds that help the overgrowth.
You can learn more here on Dr. William Davis’s website regarding this powerful combo as a ferment or “yogurt” for SIBO.
This will help to crowd out SIBO.
Protects Us From Gut Pathogens
L Reuteri protects us from pathogens.
The hardy l reuteri strain helps to ward off the harmful strains of bacteria such as Salmonella and Ecoli.
In a case study, l reuteri was shown to combat the protozoan parasite C parvem.
Protozoan parasites are present in our environment such as:
and are unavoidable in our modern world.
Parasites are all around us, so we must have hardy gut strains that help us keep our internal environment healthy and strong.
Oral Health L Reuteri Yogurt
Streptococcus mutans is the main bacteria responsible for tooth decay.
This bacteria can significantly disrupt oral health, and l reuteri can clear this bacteria from the mouth, improving the oral environment.
I like to take a tablespoon of l reuteri yogurt and swish it in the mouth before swallowing to help the microbes adhere throughout the oral cavity.
Gum Bleeding & Gingivitis
The use of l reuteri yogurt on a consistent basis can help to reduce these issues:
- Plaque buildup
- Gum bleeding
Gingivitis is the early stage of the more serious condition of periodontitis.
A medical research study reported adding l reuteri to the periodontitis treatment contributed to lowering inflammation and tissue repair.
Again, another reason to make your l reuteri yogurt is to prevent or combat mouth diseases.
Benefits of L Reuteri Yogurt
Look at the benefits of adding l reuteri yogurt to your health strategy below.
We hear a lot about preserving bone density by getting enough vitamin D3.
We can get out into the early morning sunlight or while the sun sets for the most effective and safe rays.
Supplementing with Vitamin D can be a necessity, especially in winter months.
Ensuring that the D3 is paired with k2 and magnesium is important for absorbing and balancing minerals.
Did you know gut bacteria play a deep role in bone health?
Specifically, in the case of bone density?
Medical studies report L Reuteri helps prevent mineral loss in older women, especially post-menopausal women.
Adding 1/2 cup of homemade l reuteri yogurt to your daily regime could be a key player in your long-term bone health.
By increasing the vitamin D serum levels, l reuteri helps absorb calcium into the bones instead of the joints and tissues.
In mice studies the l reuteri strain increases the bone mineral density.
A powerful tool in your health toolbox to prevent osteoporosis and bone loss as you progress through life.
Studies report that in instances of bacterial vaginosis, there is little to no presence of l reuteri.
In post-menopausal women in a recent research study, it only took a matter of 2 weeks to restore healthy vaginal microbes by adding l reuteri into their diet orally.
This is another reason to consider adding l reuteri yogurt into your lifestyle.
In the case of bacterial vaginosis sometimes oral intake took up to 4 weeks to resolve the issue.
Keeping your vaginal microbiome healthy
Once in a while, as a boost, I like to make homemade suppositories, which you can find in the kit I use here.
I also add the l rahmnosus strain which has been documented as complimentary for creating a healthy vaginal microbiome.
Oxytocin and L Reuteri Yogurt
Oxytocin is a hormone that helps us produce positive feelings.
It transmits information to our brain.
Studies show that l reuteri helps upregulate our oxytocin levels.
This is a huge benefit as mental health is on the decline.
- Mental Health Stats: Rates of major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders have risen in recent decades, particularly among young people.
A 2019 JAMA Network Open study found that major depressive disorder prevalence in the US doubled from 2005 to 2017.
- Suicide rates: Global suicide rates have increased over the past decade, reaching a record high in 2019, according to the World Health Organization. In the US, suicide rates among youths aged 10-14 have more than doubled since 2007.
- Substance use disorders: The opioid crisis and rising rates of other substance use disorders contribute to mental health struggles.
Oxytocin is extremely important to our evolving behavioral patterns as a people.
It is involved in the cultivating of the following:
- Empathic feelings
Current studies are learning how oxytocin may assist with conditions such as:
It plays a key role in social behaviors and cognition.
With these findings, it is important to consider l reuteri yogurt in your health regime.
L reuteri plays a significant role in lessening inflammation or cytokine storms and regulating the work of T cells, which is important to a well-functioning immune system.
Because of its ability to evolve and stand the test of time, it strengthens our gut lining to new, less evolved invaders.
There seems to be a deep correlation between decreased l reuteri in humans in recent decades and inflammatory diseases.
A 2020 study in Nature Medicine estimated that over 67 million global cases of immune-mediated inflammatory diseases were diagnosed in 2019, with an average annual increase of 0.68% from 1990 to 2019.
- Specific conditions: This rise seems to span multiple ailments.
- Asthma: A 2020 HCPLive article reported a 40% increase in asthma prevalence from 1990 to 2019.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): The same HCPLive article noted a 130% increase in IBD incidence between 1990 and 2019.
Rheumatoid arthritis: Global burden of disease data reveals a 25% increase in disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) attributed to rheumatoid arthritis between 2005 and 2013.
L Reuteri | Disease Prevention & Healthy Lifespan
- An MIT study reports the effects of l reuteri on increased wound healing, even in older individuals.
- This article mentions that strains such as l reuteri could be a great advantage in addressing autoimmune conditions, metabolic disorders, and cancer.
- The test subjects exhibited youthful qualities from taking the l reuteri such as hair regrowth.
Is L Reuteri Good?
From my own experience, I have only seen improvement in my health.
As we can see from the statistics above and the increase in inflammation due to the lack of l reuteri in humans’ guts over recent decades, it makes sense to consider things such as l reuteri yogurt.
Considering the onslaught of pathogens in our modern world from:
- Heavy metals
Consider l reuteri yogurt as one tool in your arsenal so that you can have a healthy, balanced gut microbiome.
It is key to note that many of the studies presented were on mice not humans.
The other thing is our gut should have many diverse healthy strains, not just one.
However it seems l reuteri can contribute to a healthier gut in many ways when you hear about all the benefits people are having.
One of my favorite aspects of l reuteri is that it helps us absorb our vitamins, minerals, and nutrients better.
L reuteri even helps our body produce certain nutrient compounds such as key B vitamins like B9 and B12.
Specifically the l reuteri strains CRL1098 and JCM1112.
I feel happier when I regularly include l reuteri yogurt in my diet.
I also can feel a shift in my gut health for the better.
So, I use my own experience; to me, it is a wonderful addition to a healthy diet.
What if you have taken antibiotics?
It has surely wiped out some of this important strain.
Did you know by age 40, most Americans have taken in upwards of 30 rounds of antibiotics? Yikes.
Is l reuteri harmful?
No, it is not. It passes all the checks for safety as a beneficial bacteria and a disease fighter.
It has undergone extensive testing and is deemed safe for humans to consume.
It survives the stomach acid’s low pH & enzyme activity.
It protects from pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.
L Reuteri Yogurt Recap
In this post, we explored the world of Lactobacillus reuteri, or L Reuteri, and learned how to make L Reuteri yogurt.
The content covers the origin and history of L Reuteri, provides a detailed L Reuteri yogurt recipe, delves into its benefits, and discusses its connection to oxytocin as a mood uplifter.
We highlighted L Reuteri’s role in aiding the cleanup of H. pylori and SIBO, emphasizing its potential impact on gut health.
Additionally, we explored the sources of L Reuteri in the human body, such as the gastrointestinal tract, skin, breast milk, and urinary tract.
We touched on the evolutionary significance of L Reuteri and its resilience in the face of challenges like glyphosate.
We further discuss the impact of L Reuteri on various aspects of health, including its protective role in conditions like leaky gut and its ability to combat pathogens.
The benefits of L Reuteri yogurt range from promoting bone density and preventing bacterial vaginosis to influencing mental health and reducing inflammatory diseases.
We concluded by emphasizing the importance of L Reuteri for disease prevention and a healthy lifespan.
We sincerely hope you learned from our comprehensive post on l reuteri yogurt.
L Reuteri Research Below: