Raw vegan sushi is a nutrient-dense and healthy alternative to traditional salmon rolls and I want to share with you an epic recipe to wow your friends, family or just make for yourself as a little tribute to the revered plant kingdom!
This vegan raw sushi tastes like the sea and looks like it too. Beyond the beauty and taste it literally is a powerhouse of medicinal health benefits to your heart, skin and gut.
It does take some work in the kitchen but as I said this raw vegan sushi will wow even those that don’t eat a vegan diet.
Why Make Raw Vegan Sushi?
Vegan raw sushi can be a wonderful alternative to fish, not as a substitute for the health benefits of wild fish but as an alternative when you want to avoid toxic heavy metals and factory-farmed fish!
The thing about salmon is that most of it is factory-farmed and there is now GMO salmon. Yikes!
What’s more is you have all the heavy metals, plastics, and glyphosate entering the oceans and contaminating the fish.
While getting into all the nuances of the toxic effects of factory-farmed salmon, toxic fish, and GMO salmon is not the scope of this post these are things healthy-conscious people like you and I want to steer clear of.
I realize wild pristine caught fish can have many health benefits to the brain and body and as an anti-inflammatory.
And I enjoy supplementing with a particular type of fish oil supplement but sometimes we want a healthy alternative to consuming raw fish.
Or perhaps we are coming off of a fast and want lighter brighter foods on our food map.
Parasites, Sugar, Soy and Synthetic Ingredients
What’s more is the ginger they give you is marinated in sugar water which feeds the bugs.
And guess what? Most wasabi is not real wasabi but instead full of chemicals and dyes. Yikes.
Not to mention the soy sauce is likely GMO and full of sodium.
Inspiration for this Sushi Roll
I also love the foodie aspect of this entire recipe inspired by someone I used to know back in the day living in the mecca of the raw food movement, Juliano Brotman.
He owned the restaurant Juliano’s Raw.
It was so fun going there late at night as the restaurant was open until midnight and open 365.
You could find me there on Thanksgiving and after teaching raw living cultured food courses down at Au Lac you could find myself and a few others hanging at Raw.
But anyway back to raw vegan sushi.
Let us dive into the recipe, shall we?
Raw Vegan Sushi Rolls: Mock Salmon Roll
To turn it into Mock Salmon
- 4 carrots to make carrot pulp and juice
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion minced fine
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh turmeric root
- 1 tsp black fermented garlic paste optional
- 1 tsp beet root powder
- 1-2 tsp dulse flakes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley or other herb you have on hand. Dill also works great.
- 4 sheets of nori
- 6 chives left long
- 1 whole cucumber
- 1/2 cup kim chee
- 4 lettuce leaves
Blending the Paté Base
- To make the base of the paté blend the paté ingredients in a vitamix blender. Be sure it is well incorporated by using the tamper it comes with. If it is too thick use some of the carrot juice you make in the next step to thin it out.
- Juice your carrots reserving 1 1/2 cups of the pulp for the paté. You can use the carrot juice as stated above if needed or save for another recipe.
Turn Paté Base into Mock Salmon
- Add in 1 1/2 cups carrot pulp as well as the chopped herbs, garlic paste, beet root powder, dulse flakes, turmeric, garlic and ginger. Stir in a bowl until well combined.You can use some carrot juice if you need to thin it out.
Sushi Wrapping and Other Add Ons
- Lay a nori wrap on a dry cutting board and add in the chives so they stick out the sides of the nori sheet.Thin slice the cucumbers leaving on the skin for the silica beauty benefits.Next top with paté.
- Add on a small amount of kim chee.
- Top with a dry lettuce leave to not get the nori wet and then roll the wrap.
- Seal off the edge with a bit of lemon or lime juice to close it up.
The Sauce and Ginger
- To make your own ginger like they serve at sushi restaurants simply thin slice or grate fresh ginger root and marinate it in Raw organic apple cider vinegar with a small amount of monk fruit.Try and prepare this a few hours ahead of time. It stores in the fridge for sevearl weeks.This makes it taste amazing without all the sugar that hurts the gut and feeds the bugs. Instead it helps your digestion and encourages stomach acid production to digest the meal adequately.
- For the sauce use coconut aminos with a bit of grated ginger if you like.
- Cut them into pieces, plate and add a bit of ginger to each plate and some black fermented garlic paste if you like.
Raw Vegan Sushi Ingredients Benefits
I want to dive in a bit about the ingredients and how this is medicinal and in ways can be healing.
The taste is off the charts but how does raw vegan sushi help repair or rejuvenate your body?
First of all it is always good to soak nuts before using them. This will make them easier to digest.
In this recipe we choose macadamia as the main nut choice as it has the least amount of carbs and is packed with vitamin E.
We need vitamin E to ensure a health heart and cardiovascular system.
With the addition of beet root powder we pack in more heart health benefits by potentially lowering blood pressure and thinning out the blood to prevent clots.
The cashews lend to the creaminess and again contribute to minerals like zinc and crucial vitamins like E.
Next we add in the component of Nutritional Yeast which I love as it adds texture but also a mass amount of all-natural B Vitamins.
We need these to combat stress in our daily lives.
The black fermented garlic may help to reduce inflammation and potentially your blood pressure. It also adds great flavor.
On the subject if inflammation we have added finely minced fresh turmeric roots to the paté. This is a key nutrient to combat all kinds of inflammatory diseases.
Clear Toxins | Hormone Harmony
We got you covered as well with loads of fiber and hormone balancing carrots!
That is right carrots help to clear out toxins from the body, provide you will plenty of Vitamin A to nourish your eyes and hair while providing harmony to your hormones as the fiber helps regulate your estrogen.
Other Key Medicinal Aspects Raw Vegan Sushi
As I mentioned above the regular sushi restaurants use sugar for their ginger slices and the wasabi, unless you are at Nobu in Malibu or Vegas is likely sus.
What I mean is ask them is it wasabi? Or is it full of dyes and chemicals to make it look like wasabi?
Instead, we got you covered by making ginger slices that support your digestion with Apple Cider Vinegar and don’t feed the bugs but we still make it sweet with MonkFruit.
We also kick it up a notch with Coconut Aminos instead of GMO soy sauce.
Now you can easily digest the raw vegan sushi and even add to your body’s increase in Hydrochloric acid to digest with the ACV marinade.
We also add kimchee which helps to digest the vegan raw sushi and give your gut some love!
Raw Vegan Sushi Recap
Vegan raw sushi can give you an alternative and healthy way to have your sushi and eat it too.
Not to mention they are so satisfying and helpful to people wanting to enjoy gourmet or foodie type eats while getting in medicinal living plant based foods.
Let me know how you enjoy this recipe!
If you want a high vibe recipe course with tons of jedi like recipes than be sure to get my Renegade Recipe Video Course Below.